Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Humble Bundle w/o the Bundle

The Humble Bundle people have a new thing starting today called the Humble Weekly Sale. Apparently one game will be for sale each week and they retain the whole ‘pay what you want’ thing. They have however created a tiered system where paying more will get you more. Interesting, though I do wonder how this will affect future bundles. We’d certainly be less likely to go after a bundle if we already have an included title, or wait for a certain title to show up. Guess we’ll see what happens.  For it’s debut the lucky game is Bastion.

Paying at least $1 will get you a Steam key, game works on Mac, Windows and Linux. Paying more than the average (currently $2.68) opens up a bonuses including the soundtrack, a digital art pack, sheet music and ringtones. Perhaps for the first time there’s also physical bonuses if you cough up $25, including a bandana, a soundtrack CD and 2 postcards, this tier includes free shipping on the bonus items.

Also while I don’t see it specifically advertised, I believe you can still pay 0.01, one freakin’ penny, to get the game directly from Humble with no Steam key.

I don’t have Bastion, apparently having missed it in various bundles t’s been in. It’s currently $15 on Steam, with the soundtrack an extra $10. I love soundtracks and feel they should be included in everything. How hard is it to stick a few MP3s in a zip file anyway?

I think I’m gonna pop on this. Though I must say I often feel embarrassed on behalf of my fellow gamers when I forums filled with people paying $1. Do they expect the developer to turn a profit on that and remain in business? I’m leaning towards paying $7. Even that seems low from a standpoint of the developer turning a profit. We’re such entilted blowhards. On the other hand it’s more than I paid for Mass Effect during a Steam sale. If an indie title really needs to make more than Mass Effect to stay afloat, that shit ain’t my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers