Monday, February 1, 2010

Lazy Book Review: Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

Recently Michael Crichton passed away and from what I understand, this particular manuscript was found in his files. I mean no disrespect to the man, he gave us Jurassic park, The Lost World and The Andromeda Strain… But I can’t help but feel Crichton left this one in his files for a reason.

I feel as though Crichton got swept up in Pirates of the Caribbean fever though ‘Pirates! This I must write!’. He then likely drew up an outline of what a pirate story needed. Honorable pirate privateer, check! Governor's niece, check! Sea monster, check! Sea battle, check! Cannibalistic natives, check! Multinational crew of misfits who’s name reflect their nationality (The Jew, The Moor), check!

The entire affair just seems uninspired. I did manage to finish, but it took me two weeks of off an on reading. Books I really get into will be done in two days. I finished more from ‘It’s not bad enough to toss, I guess’ then from Dresden Files ‘Thomas is who’s son?! *turn page*’

Ultimately I feel actually a little more respect for Crichton. If my thoughts are correct, then the man recognized it wasn’t very good and filed it away rather and having it published to be carried by his name. Which, is what happened. Publisher fail.

2 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers