Friday, June 25, 2010

Game Review: Borderlands

I know, it’s been out for how long? Bite me, I got a list and when/if I get to said list may or may not be in an acceptable timeframe for others to care about my opinion. But that’s what cool about the internet, nobody cares anyway.

Anywho, the game. Freshly downloaded off Steam (see last post for non-insightful rambling) I hopped into the game not quite knowing what to expect. It’s a shooter obviously, but with RPG elements? Well, that might be stretching things. You have skills and levels and quests but… wait, that’s an RPG.

Story progression is driven by the quests and level progression (so far level 10) have kept pace with the enemies you have to kill. Game itself is fun, I love Claptrap and the graphics are cute but slick at the same time. It reminds me of World of Warcraft in the graphics department – I’ll take a silky smooth stylized engine over ‘realistic with frame rate problems’ (looking at you Conan) any day.

The game itself is fun though I do have two complaints: in-game menus and the manual.

  1. The game is obviously designed for a console and navigating the menus with a mouse is infuriating. It’s a freakin’ mouse? Seriously, how hard would it have been to fix the menu to use a mouse intuitively.
  2. The manual offered by Steam appears to be a PDF copy of the X-Box 360 version (cleared references to Right Button, Left Trigger and such, not a mention of left-click in sight). Either Steam is retarded and didn’t realize they sell PC games or the developers didn’t bother making a manual with PC commands. Either way, I find this infuriating and unacceptable.

Overall I like it, thought the menu and manual issues keep if from a higher score.

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers