Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hollywood: The Next Generation, pt 2

As I review pt1, I realize this is more than a wish list than a prediction. Michael Jai White is not the next Stallone, though he should be.

Anyway, let’s take a look behind the camera. Aside from Spielberg, who in the old guard is really producing quality work these days? As I thought about it though, I realized that the new crop of directors is already here with several hits under their belt.

Christopher Nolan – Batman Begins. The Prestige. The Dark Knight. Inception. Ok, I haven’t seen Inception yet, but word has it the movie doesn’t suck. Nolan’s going to get the Oscars in this list of mine.

Robert Rodriguez – From Dusk till Dawn. Desperado. Sin City. Planet Terror. Who doesn’t lover Robert Rodriguez movies. C’mon. It’s almost enough to make me add Spy Kids tot he Netflix que. Almost.

Zack Snyder – I know a lot of people get irritated with Snyder’s slo-mo fetish, get over it. This guy’s got the goods. His first feature was the remake of Dawn of the Dead, and he followed up with 300. While upon repeat viewings I’ve found Watchmen a bit to slow, I understand Legend of the Guardians is great and Sucker Punk promises asskicking babes. Snyder’s eventually going to supplant Michael Bay as event action king, trading explosions for slo-mo.

Peter Jackson – Eh… possibly. Jackson’s still a bit of a wildcard in my book. Yes, LotR ruled, but I think of it as one big movie rather 3 seperate sucesses. Given a blank check, he fumbled his next project. King Kong was to long and to boring. More Kong vs T-Rexes please.

Other possibilities - Alexandre Aja (Hills Have Eyes ‘06, Mirrors), Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, The Replacement Killers, King Arthur – hey I liked it), Jay Chandrasekhar (Beerfest, Super Troopers – I love Broken Lizard)

Notable Exclusions – Uwe Boll

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers