Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hollywood: The Next Generation

I saw Red this weekend and along with The Expendables this summer Hollywood seems to be acknowledging that it’s biggest stars are getting up there in years. Don’t get me wrong, several while old aren’t geriatric and still have a few good films in them. Some though (Morgan Freeman I’m looking at you) are pushing 70 or beyond. So, who’s gonna step up and be the next generation of stars? No, I’m not talking about Shia Labeouf.

Timothy Olyphant – I’ve been a fan of Olyphant since his role as the drug dealer that seduced Katie Holmes in Go. Since then he’s had an impressive B-list run while never quite making to the A-list. Staring in Deadwood, Hitman, Live Free or Die Hard, he’s currently staring in FX’s Justified. I can’t complain about his work and I kinda hope nothing changes.

Michael Jai White – I’m not sure what it is about this guy. His work so far has been all over the place in quality. He just oozes charisma and potential to me, and I want to see him in more mainstream work. Give him Arnold and Stallone’s job, The Rock obviously isn’t eager to take it.

Natalie Portman – Ok, so this is a gimme, but she’s only 29 so she definitely fits as the new generation, next.

Maggie Grace – You may remember me remember me referring to her as ‘Leggy Blonde Bitch’ from Lost. Grace seems to be going through the paying dues phase of her career with several small roles under her belt and quite a few projects in the works. Plus, her legs go up to HERE.

Paula Patton – She co-stared with Denzel in the underrated Deja Vu and recently stared in Precious. She reminds me of Halle Berry both in looks and with her ability/willingness to tackle different genres.

Chris Evans – Scheduled arrival  July 22, 2011. Unless Captain America fails Chris is here to stay.

Other possibilities include - Joseph Gordon-Levitt (great buzz though I haven’t seem him to comment), Gemma Arterton (nothing negative per se, but I almost feel she’s being groomed to much like Shia Labeouf), Chris Pine (only seen as Kirk, but good fun, let’s see him in a few action comedies),  Zoe Saldana

Notable exclusions – Megan Fox, Shia Lebeouf, Michael Cera

Tune in later for a look behind the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers