Friday, January 22, 2010

WoW Rant: The Quest for Badges

So like everyone else I’ve been running a lot of randoms lately. It really is quite odd because I used to shudder at the very thought of a PUG, I mean it’s not that I just didn’t do PUGs very often, I never did them. It hasn’t been that bad really. I’ve come to the conclusion that one of 2 things has happened.

  1. The WoW playerbase is more skilled than I gave them credit.
  2. As a tank I’ve reached  gear critical mass point where the group can screw up anything and I’ll survive it.

I hope for the former, though fear and suspect the latter. I remember one run where after a boss fight someone posted a recount of damage taken for the fight – I’d taken none. On a boss fight. Zero. Dodged, parried, completely blocked every single attack thrown at me. As awesome as that is, it’s a bit OP.

The point of running randoms of course, is badge farming. Badges in the Wrath era have become stupidly simple to get. One day I got 40 badges, that’s just nuts. There’s no sense of accomplishment.

I don’t know a better system, obviously no one wants to farm Nax for alts to gear up for Uldaur to gear up for ToC to gear up for ICC. Still I can’t help but feel the game has lost something. I rmember once standing around the bank in Shatt and some asking ‘wow, where’s you get that?’ - ‘dragonhawk boss in ZA’. Now looking at my armory profile the majority of my answers would be ‘I spent hours sleepily trudging through heroics then spoke to a vendor’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers